In order to support development of Confucius Institutes,facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in theworld, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students ofChinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafterreferred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” programfor providing sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachersof other countries for pursuing a study in relevant universities in China(hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
I. Category & Eligibility
The Confucius Institute Scholarship Categories are:
Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese toSpeakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
Scholarship for one-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL Students
Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicant iscurrently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed theage limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the age limit of 20).
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese toSpeakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years.Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement orcertification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions ispreferred.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 3 academic years.Applicant should provide the employment agreement from a designated ConfuciusInstitute or a
5. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK (Beginner Level).Alternatively, applicant should have a minimum score of 100 in BCT (A), and aminimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
6. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study whichis mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, andoutstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicant should submit a HSK or BCT score report, and have no prior experience of studying inChina.
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the 2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admission according to the scholarship specified in the certificate.
II.Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage ontuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chinese language proficiency tests （HSK/HSKK）, and cultural and social activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning andutilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms （usually double rooms）. For those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month orby quarter. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions onmonthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions.Students who are enrolled before the 15th （or on the 15th） of the admission month,are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolledafter the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will begranted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by hostinstitutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from Chinaof personal reasons for more than 15 days （excluding legal holidays）, the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the hostinstitutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee per personis RMB800 per year.
The degree scholarship program applicants （Category 1, 2, 3） are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records inacademic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarshipfor the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship anylonger. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required to attend Chinese language proficiency testbefore graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
III. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trialbasis. For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, pleasefind admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the ConfuciusInstitute Scholarships website （http://cis.chinese.cn）.
1. For application, please log on to the Confucius InstituteScholarships website （http://cis.chinese.cn） to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships ApplicationForm online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes （independent ConfuciusClassrooms） in different countries,overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections ofChinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working asrecommending institutions to engage in the applicant s election, materialsreview, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing overapplicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verified by the Division ofScholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive s election.Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days afterthe application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Formfor Foreigners to Study in China （JW202 Form）, copy of the scholarshipcertificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not beprocessed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons inwritten form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do notregister as requested without reason, the scholarship .
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who , d rop out, ortake schooling suspension during the study.
Division of Scholarships, Confucius Institute Headquarters （Hanban）
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street,Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088
Fax: +86-10-58595727 E-mail: email@example.com